Harada fruit powder:
What is it -
Common name: Haritaki ,Black Myrobalan, Chebulic Myrobalan, Hardh, Ink Tree, Harar, Hardad, Indian Gall Nut
Botanical name: Terminalia chebula
Part used: fruit
Harada : Of the thousands of Ayurvedic herbs, harada is the most commonly used. It is considered so precious that it is said “do not worry if you do not have a mother as long as you have harada.” Like the other fruits, harada is strongly astringent, and is often used for the health of the mucosa. This three-fruit combination balances each of the different bodily systems identified in Ayurveda, in order to maintain and restore balance to the entire system.
What it contains:
(+)- tannic acid, chebulinic acid, gallic acid, resin, anthraquinone, sennoside, mucilage, chebulin, terchebin, palmitic acid, stearic acid, oleic acid, linoleic acid, arachidic acid, behenic acid.
• Haritaki powder has laxative, rejuvenative, purgative, astringent and dry properties.
• The paste of its fruit powder is effective in reducing swelling, hastening the healing process and cleansing the wounds and ulcers.
• The paste gives relief to the eyelids, in case of conjunctivitis.
• Gargling with haritaki decoction helps in stomatitis, oral ulcers and sore throat.
• It serves as a good astringent for loose gums, bleeding and ulceration in gums.
• The herb is used in preparing ‘Triphala’ that is used for hair wash, brush teeth in pyorrhea and treat bleeding gums.
• Regular consumption of haritaki powder, fried in ghee, promotes longevity and boosts energy.
• It responds well to gastrointestinal ailments, tumors, ascites, piles, enlargement of liver-spleen, worms and colitis.
• Powdered haritaki, mixed with jaggery, works well in gout.
• Its powder, when mixed with honey and ghee, is an effective remedy for anemia.
• Haritaki powder is combined with sunthi powder and given with hot water to lighten asthma and hiccups.
• Its powder, when taken along with honey, is of great help in hepatitis and obesity.
• The herb improves memory and is salutary in dysuria and urinary stones.
• Haritaki powder helps in improving appetite and helps in digestion.
• It is a good nervine and helps in nervous weakness and nervous irritability and promotes the receiving power of the five senses.
• Since it is anti-inflammatory and astringent, it is helpful in urethral discharges like spermatorrhea and vaginal discharges like leucorrhea.
How to use:
Stir one level teaspoon of bulk powdered Triphala into a cup (8 oz) of hot water. Wait until powder settles and then drink the liquid. The same powder can be used a second time. Drink two times daily, and then discard the sediment. For best results, use between meals, or as recommended by your health care professional.
Weight: 100 gms