Common name: Triphla
botanical name: Phyllanthus emblica
Part used: fruit
triphala is probably the most popular remedy used in the Indian traditional medicine system of ayurveda. In ayurveda, it is believed that the right use of Triphala churna can cure all diseases, including diabetes, hypertension, and even cancer.
The word triphala is formed by combining two Sanskrit words. Trimeans three and phala means fruits. When you combine the two words, you get three fruits and this is what triphala powder is.
It is a combination of the three best known fruits for health. These three fruits and their individual benefits are discussed below.The Sanskrit wordchurna stands for powder.
The three fruits powder present are:
• Amla or the Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis)
• Haritaki or the Chebulic Myrobalans (Terminalia chebula)
• Bibhitaki (Terminalia Bellirica)
What it contains:
Amalaki, Emblica Officinalis, is one of Ayurveda's greatest rejuvenators and a strong natural anti-oxidant, also helps to boost the immune system. Balances Pitta.
Haritaki, Terminalia Chebula, the Tibetan "king of medicine",is a classic heart-brain-longevity tonic,it is often depicted in the extended palm of the Buddha. Balances Vata.
Bibhitaki, Terminalia Belerica, a powerful rejuvenative that reduces liver and heart disease, also improves the voice, vision and promotes the growth of hair. Balances Kapha.
• Improves digestion
• Is antioxidant rich
• Improves circulation (cardiotonic and capillary strengthening flavonoids)
• Potentiates adrenergic function (helps the body recover from stress)
• Contains linoleic acid (an essential fatty acid) and phospholipids
• Lowers blood pressure
• Exerts a marked heart-protective and cardio-tonic effect
• Reduces serum cholesterol
• Improves liver function and is liver protective
• Is anti-inflammatory (constituents include Vit. C and quercetin)
• Is expectorant
• Has anti-viral (HIV, AIDS, herpes, CMV) properties
• Has anti-bacterial properties
• Has anti-cancer properties
• Has anti-allergy properties
How to use:
One would stir in two or three grams of the triphala choorna/ triphala choornam/ triphala powder with warm water and consume the entire amount each evening or divided into three doses throughout the day, between meals if possible.
What you should remember:
The one time not to use triphala powder is during pregnancy. It's 'downward flowing' energy is believed to favor miscarriage.
Weight: 100 gms